How to Practice Strumming Ukulele
Weather your a beginner or long time ukulele player, weather you play at home or in a ukulele group, strumming is most likely the thing you do most. The thing that I have noticed is that many people just pick up a ukulele and strum what come natural to them. The problem with this approach is that most people’s natural instincts are wrong.
They use improper technique which limits their talents and could cause injury. Since I am dedicated to making you the best ukulele player that you can be, I created this video to help address the main strumming problems. In this video I will give you 3 tips that will help you become a great strummer on the uke.
Ukulele Practice Chord Progressions
As a brand-new ukulele player, the best approach is to start from the very beginning and gradually build skills. Recognize that you probably won’t learn tons of songs overnight this way, but you will be well on your way to building a strong foundation for total mastery of the ukulele. Here are some additional beginner tips to help you on your way.
- Tune your ukulele frequently, particularly if it’s brand-new. Use a tuner or add an app to your phone.
- Practice holding your ukulele the right way. A neck strap can help keep you comfortable, particularly if you’re using online learning resources and you need to handle your phone or tablet frequently during practice sessions.
- Keep things simple so you don’t get overwhelmed. Learn one thing at a time, master it, and then move on. Periodically review what you’ve learned so that you don’t have to start over. As time passes, you’ll be able to remember basic chords and play your favorite songs from memory.
- Immerse yourself in ukulele music. Listen to ukulele music, watch other players, and see what you can pick up along the way.
- Practice! The more you practice, the better your results will be.
Last but not least, have fun! Don’t expect too much of yourself, particularly during the earliest days. Everyone – even the most talented players – had to start at the very beginning just like you’re doing now. It takes time to become a skilled musician so be patient with yourself as you build your knowledge. With consistent practice and repetition, you’ll soon be strumming your favorite songs.